Putting yourself first. It’s a scary thought, right? No one wants to be the person who comes across as a narcissist or a complete you know what… but brace yourself for the truth. Becoming your healthiest and “most balanced” self in 2022 means you have to learn to take care of your own needs before you can effectively help others. Emphasis on the word “effectively.”
In reality, putting yourself before others is the exact opposite of selfishness. Here’s why…
A lot of us are in the business of helping others and becoming a problem solver in other people’s lives. Maybe you’re the person who helps a friend in struggling relationships, gives great business advice to someone ready to learn, or listens to people and tells it like it is.
BUT, have you noticed that whenever people need you, you can only think of your mental to-do list, how crappy you feel about your physical health, and your own life or relationship problems? If this rings a bell, it’s time to check yourself before you go out of your way to help others. My point here is that if you don’t organize your life, you can’t clear your head. Realistically, you aren’t giving people your full self when they need you with all that clutter from your personal life looming over you. If you ignore your own problems and push them aside, they’ll eventually bite you in the back as the foundations of your business or personal life start to crumble.
There’s still hope! Here’s what I recommend when putting yourself first:
- Create a daily routine devoted to you that can be achieved each day. It doesn’t matter when you plan this time, it’s just important that you actually DO IT! Some things that you could include in the routine are…
- Adding in a daily skincare regimen
- Journaling for 15 minutes before bed
- Cooking breakfast for you or the family
- Keep a list of goals to hold yourself accountable. This list should remind you of the specific path YOU want to take.
- Work out at least 3 times a week! Just watch, your physical and mental wellbeing will change for the better.
- Say no when you really mean it. Stop trying to people-please because you’re spreading yourself too thin. Save your time and energy, you need it!
Bandwidth + Energy = Better YOU!
How many times have you heard someone say they wish they had more hours in the day? Make sure you have the proper bandwidth so your needs are met. If you put your needs aside, your bandwidth shrinks. You can finally address the needs of others when you take care of yourself first! Also, you can’t bring the energy that you need to your business if you feel defeated. Plant the seeds, create a self-care routine, and watch as you grow and change for the better!
In reality, a lot of us are called to be problem-solvers in business. If you aren’t sure how you want to improve your routine, join me on my Pure 21 journey. This is a program that puts your mental health and wellness above everything else, while creating important “you time.” I started off 2022 with the decision to dedicate myself to something that will improve both me and my business. I haven’t finished my 21 days yet, but I feel like my bandwidth and energy have changed for the better! On top of it all, I am a better problem solver for others because I put myself first and cleared my mind.